Project Costs: £1m+
Timescales: 20 Weeks
Finish Date:Q3 2022
Size: 2 floors, 450m2
Spatial had the upmost pleasure of being appointed Principal Contractor for Chester University's new Engineering Block project. A complete new build project on spare ground within the University campus just off Park Gate Road.
Scope of Works
- Site clearance and a Reduced level dig prior to piling works
- 76 driven piles down to 14 metres
- Installation of high spec gas membrane
- Reinforcement schedule - 12 tonnes rebar
- 300mm concrete slab poured and polished
- Erection of steelwork
- Fireproofing of steelwork with intumescent paint
- Roofing and external cladding
- Double glazed windows and doors, fire exits and bifolding security doors.
- Internal fit out works to create several learning zones including a machine lab, computer aided design and manufacturing area, teaching classroom, chemical engineering lab and several office space areas. (45 days)
- External works for a car park and groundworks.
Making it Happen
The historic Exton Park site has offered a wide range of courses since first opening its doors in 1839.
Due to expansion requirements, some underutilised Estates Department Maintenance Offices and Storage areas were repurposed to be new home to a two storey Engineering and Science lab facility.
The two storey new build project consists of over 450m2 ground floor space with a mezzanine first floor providing practical learning spaces for students studying engineering and related disciplines.
The ground area was cleared and excavated and piled in preparation for a concrete foundation and subsequent steel works.
The structural steel was fire proofed with Intumescent Paint to meet building regulations and safety standards. Once applied, it expands into a solid, carbonaceous layer when subjected to temperatures of around 250°. This creates a protective coating around the steel to increase its fire resistance rating, which is usually either between 30, 60 and 90 mins. By increasing the period that the steel can withstand high temperatures, intumescent paint extends the window of opportunity for a building to be safely evacuated.
After the steel works had been complete the structure was wrapped in external cladding, fitted with double glazed windows and doors and fitted out with suitable office furniture and engineering equipment.
The end result is a superb new build structure conducive to the effective learning environment for degree level students
Think we would be a good fit for your project?
Get in Touch